Connect with us

Sport

Another big injury blow for Sundowns prior to CAF clash

Published

on

In the CAF Champions League last Friday, Sundowns clinched a 1-0 win over Al Hilal Omdurman, but Gaston Sirino suffered a facial injury that required him to be stretchered off, and he will be sidelined for a few weeks.

ICYMI: FULL MASON GREENWOOD, HARRIET ROBSON CASE TIMELINE

Now during Monday’s DStv Premiership clash against Baroka FC, Safankro also had to be stretchered off after picking up what appeared to be a hamstring injury at the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

“It’s a bit of a touch and go with regards to Pavol,” co-coach Manqoba Mngqithi has said. “He is still going to be assessed but it’s not looking very good.”

READ | CHIEFS VS PSL: WORST-CASE SCENARIO COULD SEE AMAKHOSI LOSE CRUCIAL POINTS

Sundowns previously provided a statement on Sirino:

“It’s sad that when he was really beginning to come back very strong, and really showing very good signs, even in training, we have to lose him out in a manner that we did,” co-coach Manqoba Mngqithi told the club’s media department.

“But fortunately, he has already done an operation and the doctors have promised that it might be two to three weeks situation for him being outside of football.

“So we’re hoping that maybe when we come back from Ahly, he might be in a very good space to assist the team going forward. But we do wish him a very speedy recovery because we know he’s a very important member of our team.”

Immediately after the game, Sundowns also provided further details into the injury.

“Gaston Sirino suffered a nasal fracture in the first half of yesterday’s match and was stabilised before being transferred to the Netcare Fancrest Hospital, in Rustenburg, for assessment. He was released in time to travel back home with the rest of the team.

“Gaston will undergo a surgical procedure today. We all wish Gaston a speedy recovery and we will provide further updates from the medical team.”

It comes a time when rumours have suggested Sirino was looking at an exit from Sundowns after a period where his game time has been limited.

READ | CHIEFS’ QUIET TRANSFER WINDOW: IT’S ‘REALISM’ NOT ‘LACK OF AMBITION’

Both Orlando Pirates and Al Ahly were reportedly linked with a move for the Uruguayan, but Sundowns haven’t appeared interested in releasing the 30-year-old.

READ | NCIKAZI: WHAT’S NEEDED ‘TO BRING A MESSI TO PIRATES’!

READ NOW |  Mamelodi Sundowns’ Mambush beat up me and Chabangu – Mere recalls the klaps
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Facebook

Trending post

© 2022 Copyright suresource24. All Rights reserved.